Yuut Elitnaurviat is planning to offer a Fifteen Day Introduction to Welding and Fabrication training from April 18 – May 2, 2016. The class will be fifteen days working straight through the weekends.
Upon successful completion of the course, trainees will be able to perform the following:
1. Understand the obligations of workers and employers to create a Safety Culture in the workplace.
2. Identify potential job-site hazards including potential construction hazards, hazardous materials, welding and cutting hazards and confined spaces.
3. Apply basic mathematical functions as they apply to construction, welding and fabrication; includes basic geometry.
4. Safely and properly use common construction/welding hand and power tools.
5. Read and interpret basic construction and welding drawings.
6. Interpret and apply ideas and concepts from shop drawings to finished product.
7. Understand and apply basic on the job communication skills including resume writing skills, telephone and email communication.
8. Understand the importance of a strong work ethic, effective self-presentation and applying of critical thinking skills.
9. Recognize the hazards involved with materials handling on the workplace.
10. Identify and operate a variety of commonly used welding and cutting tools.
Trainees will be instructed in Safety – Welding – Fabrication theory as well as practical hands-on applications such as proper tools usage, linear and angular measurements, machine metal cutting, oxy-fuel metal cutting, Arc welding, Mig welding and rough/finish welding and polishing. Trainees as a class will construct an adjustable trailer that will be utilized by Carpentry students for materials handling.The cost of the training will be $1,500/person assuming that we can fill the class with 10 students. This is subsidized by a grant from the Alaska Community Foundation and funding from Donlin Gold. The fee would cover all materials, instruction, and shop use. This comes out to around $500/person/week for training.This does not include any meals or housing; if students need meals and/or housing Yuut Elitnaurviat can provide them at an extra cost.
For more information, or to talk to someone about the application process, contact Jeremy Osborne at: (907) 543-0999 or email firstname.lastname@example.org